I was really excited when this mystery tat along started in June 2015 over at Craftree: https://www.craftree.com/forum/threadfs/33172?page=1#202930. And I am happy now to say I have finished it, just under two years later.
In 2015, I thought I would use some red size 40 Milford Mercerised cotton to make it. I also set myself a challenge of using split chains to climb out of rows, and used a shuttle and ball thread. Using the ball thread instead of an additional shuttle meant I had to also learn how to make split rings using the ball thread. While I enjoyed making the first few rounds I must have put the piece away when we started renovations at the end of 2015.
When I uncovered it again in 2016, I found the thread annoying to work with. So again the project went in a cupboard and was forgotten. About a month ago I re-discovered it, and remembered why I stopped working on it when I was finishing round seven. Instead of persevering with the annoying red thread, I decided to change the thread I was using and finish this challenge. I matched a variegated Lizbeth size 40 Juicy Watermelon (Colour 156) to the red. I really enjoyed the last two rounds and had it finished very quickly.
Below are the pictures of it being blocked, and the completed doily.
When I finish a project like this, I begin looking for another similar sized project to take it’s place. Perhaps I will even make this pattern again in a prettier, nicer to work with, thread.
Until next time, happy tatting,